Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Froggy Went A-Courtin'

Not Safe for Work!

. . . unless you want your co-workers to think you've just opened a jar of fresh summer night air. This is over ten minutes long.

A plane flies through at the beginning. Listen for some kind of weird phase effect in the left speaker on the plane sound. There was the wall of a house behind me, to block some road noise, so maybe it was reflection off this wall that was causing this phase shift, if that is what it is.

About one-third in, there's an unidentified knocking noise in the left speaker from the woods. It is hard to hear, and it does not sound human, unless it's the Blair Witch. Soon after that, there's one slap of one Birkenstock sole, mine yes, against the concrete underfoot. There are some distant cars, and you might be able to hear the neighbor's air conditioning under all the commotion, but this might have been lost in the data compression.

I don't mean my neighbor. This was not recorded at my house, or there would have been interstate traffic overhanging the whole thing.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, these are sounds to savor, especially considering our first frost should come next month. Can I download this, to cheer up my scrawny always-cold self around about February? Yes, we can hear the air conditioner (humming an A note).

--Lisa

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic.

Presently, it is a fine reminder that as the evenings cool down we need to be outside enjoying the end of summer.

Later, it would be an awesome repost. Right after whatever snow or ice storms we get this year, it could serve to remind our chilly souls of warmer days.

Sherri ~ daintytime said...

This came to my inbox from Allyn less than 24hrs after your post - it's a slight digression but...

Once upon a time in a land far away, a beautiful, independent, self-assured princess happened upon a frog as she sat contemplating ecological issues on the shores of an unpolluted pond in a verdant meadow near her castle.

The frog hopped into the princess' lap and said: " Elegant Lady, I was once a handsome prince, until an evil witch cast a spell upon me. One kiss from you, however, and I will turn back into the dapper, young prince that I am and then, my sweet, we can marry and set up housekeeping in your castle with my mother, where you can prepare my meals, clean my clothes, bear my children, and forever feel grateful and happy doing so. "

That night, as the princess dined sumptuously on lightly sauteed frog legs seasoned in a white wine and onion cream sauce, she chuckled and thought to herself:

~~~~~~~~
I don't f*cking think so.

Elrond Hubbard said...

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. Seriously, once I edited out the extraneous sounds, I was left with 23 minutes of frogs, cicadas, whatnot. Maybe I'll post the rest -- save them for winter or something. Lisa, if you were serious about downloading it, I can send you the 14 MB mp3 or a shorter one, but I don't know who you are.